Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rebellious Characters

At the moment, I am participating in NANOWRIMO, as I mentioned earlier.

Yesterday, I reached a point where I needed to write an action scene, but my characters didn't want to. As other writer's of fiction know, your characters will take on a life of their own, and sometimes, they just want to spend it doing nothing.
No, they do not want to leap off the couch and go rescue someone, they just want to sit around. And they won't even talk while they sit around. (which would at least help with the word count)

Anyway, as I sat and tried to write, my main character wouldn't cooperate. I had a plan for the novel, but he didn't want to help. I needed him to rescue a minor character from a painful death of torment, yet he wouldn't do anything.

In my frustration, a thought crossed my mind. maybe this is how our God feels. He created us, and breathed life into us, yet we refuse to obey, much less even talk to him.
I created my characters, without me, they would not even exist, yet they refuse to. I could destroy them with a stroke of my pen or a word typed on my laptop, but I don't. I love them so much that I don't delete my file and instantly kill them, I let them live on.
They rebel against me, and my plan for their lives, yet I let them live through my love.

Our God created and sustains us, yet we rebel against him. We disobey his commands, refuse to talk to him, and do not return the love he shows us. He could kill us all with a word, yet he continues to love us.

Let us not be rebellious characters in the Great Story God is writing. We need to listen to his instructions, follow his commands, and return the love he shows us by letting us live on.

~ The Two Young Men

(P.S, The original Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley is a great allegory with a similar theme. The creation rebels against the very hand that made him.)

1 comment: